Sunday, November 30, 2008

Clearing Nettles

Not much to report. Past few days have been centered around food: preparing food, reading about food, cleaning up food.

I went to Blood Farm in West Groton to pick up a Chine end pork roast, which I am currently cooking, at low heat, for the next eight hours. Should be grand.

I read on the internet that the place has slow service. There was one person ahead of me in line and I probably waiting twenty minutes with my roast and pig ears in hand.

The smoked pig ears were for Slappy, and enjoy them she did.

While waiting, a man came in, upset that he had brought in his deer and that they had given him the whole carcass and he just wanted the head. He kept asking workers to help him, but no one seemed to know what to do. Finally, an older butcher -- he looked Latino -- heard the man and went outside to help. With a few cuts of his knife, no more carcass! Head only!

Today I have to clear out the rose bushes so that we can fit two cars in our tiny driveway. That's my big project, as well as cleaning out the chimney for the pellet stove, which we fired up for the first time last night.

Since I have to sit around the house while the pork slow cooks, I'm hoping to get some writing done. And it wouldn't hurt to get some exercise. Unfortunately, my knees are so bad that I'm limited in what I can do. A nice long walk? Who knows?

No comments: