Thursday, November 27, 2008

Heavy on the Horseradish

My first turkey is done and cooling. I tried it. I don't like to brag, but it's the best turkey I've ever eaten.

It's not bragging, really. For the past two weeks, I've been going to Barnes and Noble and checking the net for recipes and tips. I'm not a huge turkey fan, so I wanted to do this right. I don't like the dry stuff I usually get, and this is almost more like a slow roasted pork, it's so tender. I've been up since six cooking. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the family to show up, when I'll finally let myself polish off one of the two remaining I.P.A.'s. My brother gets the other.

It also isn't bragging because I've only been eating one person's turkey for the past thirty some years of my life. My mother is a good cook, but a little conservative. She's remarkably consistent -- same bird every year all that time. But I've had enough of that bird, and wanted mine with bacon and oranges and garlic and fresh rosemary.

I also made a walnut stuffing and the cranberry relish recipe I heard about on NPR this week. It turned out to be even better than expected. Did I go a little heavy on the horseradish? Guilty as charged!

Jess is taking a shower after cleaning the house all morning. This is our first Thanksgiving together. It seems to mark a turning point. The weather is unseasonably warm. My knee hurts, but the sun is out and the cats are clearly excited at the constant company. I'm just hoping they don't take to hopping up on the counters during the meal. They seem in that spirit today. Hopping, that is.

I finally got my Netflix squared away. The new XBOX has a program that lets you steam titles directly off Netflix for free, assuming you have a subscription. There are diverse titles available, and I already have my queue loaded with Herzog and documentaries and David Attenborough programs.

I can be all modern with my XBOX, but I'll keep my old man taste in movies. Bring on the polar bears and spelling contests! I'll watch it all and eat apples with cheddar to boot.

Fifteen minutes to go. The family arrives soon.

No comments: