Sunday, December 21, 2008

Pork Neck Bones

Currently, I'm getting ready to add rice to some pork neck bones I've been cooking for the past two hours. I've New Englandized them by skimming the fat and using brown rice, and Asianized them with a chili oil.

And they sure smell good.

Pork neck bones are classic "poor folks" food -- delicious food used by people forced to use ingredients regarded as scraps by the upper classes, who look on them with disgust.

Me? I'm trying to learn how to use these cuts both because I can make big dishes with little cash, but also because on a tiny but significant level it demonstrates an attitude of mindfulness about food, where it comes from, and what constitutes waste and carelessness.

*

I'm thinking of traveling to New Jersey in April to get certified as a beer judge. Who's in?

No comments: