Sunday, December 7, 2008

Processing

I froze the bones from the pig and finally got around to making stock tonight. It's the second stock I've made in the new house, the second since I've started cooking again. It could have been better -- but I was pressed for time.

With it, I made a butternut squash soup and it fit the winter just fine. Almost all ingredient were local, save the garlic, pepper, fresh nutmeg, and salt. Squash, green onions, pork, and herbs were all bought almost within walking distance.

For dessert, I prepared pomegranates for the first time, dropping the seeds into a bowl of cold water to make it easier to remove the membranes.

It was nice to get in a healthy meal, and I assume I burned more calories making it than eating it: I started work at four and put the last dried dish in the cupboard five minutes ago, nearly five hours later.

*

We didn't get home from karaoke until 1:30 a.m. last night. Jess was so tired I gave her the mini egg sandwich I be bought at the gas station, and she ate it halfway through, from the top down. Thankfully, I didn't have to carry her up the stairs, but she fell asleep instantly, whereas I still had to wind down a little, and I did so writing a few facebook messages and reading a chapter in a book Mikey lent me.

*

We bought a healthy little Christmas tree at Gary's farmstand. We went to Pierce's first, but they were too expensive.

When I grew up, we owned a plastic tree. I don't think it was until high school when I found out that some people actually put real trees into their homes.

So far, the cats have not discovered its joys. We wait expectantly.

After Jess decorated the fence and two of our trees with lights, our home has taken on the soft light feel of the coming season. The tree, still unadorned, heightens this, as does the snow, or at least the occasional threat of it.

*

Next Saturday, Jess is going to spend with her family and she's going to have a "sleep over" with her sisters. This means that I will have the house to myself for the first time, ever. And my plans are to do the jiu-jitsu tournament during the day, return home with good whole bean coffee, a book or two, and some winter ales. I will no doubt spend a quiet evening enjoying the two extremes of the tranquil enjoyment of literature and the soothing pleasure of blowing out the eyeballs of a Boomer in Gears of War 2.

Carry on, soldiers!

No comments: